grub-devel

Re: Two SoC ideas

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: Two SoC ideas
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:08:09 +0100

On Wednesday 28 March 2007 13:06, Wei Shen wrote:
> Your are absolutely right. But I am not an expert on Grub.

Note that nobody is an expert from the beginning.

> I think the most important that Google SoC gives a student is not money,
> but a opportunity to participate and obtain help.

IMHO, SoC has two significant effects.

One of them is definitely money. Money is not a good motivation in software
development, but money can allocate your time.

The other is advertisement. Even if people do not go to a museum usually, some
of them might feel that they want to go, when a special exhibition is
planned. SoC has the same effect. Even if people do not look at free software
development usually, some of them might feel that they want to participate,
when this kind of event is planned.

Besides these, however, I see no difference between mentees in SoC and other
contributors. After all, our project is Free Software. You are always free to
take part in our development, whenever you would feel to do so. Help? Yes, we
do, as much as we can practically, regardless of whether you are paid or not.

I don't know if Jeroen is planning to take some money or not, but I myself did
not take any cent of money from last year's SoC. So, from my point of view,
there was no real difference between a mentee and another contributor. So I
have helped all contributors equally.

Briefly, your contribution is welcome, no matter whatever you do with SoC.

Okuji