grub-devel

Re: Two SoC ideas (comments are welcome!)

From: Andrei E. Warkentin
Subject: Re: Two SoC ideas (comments are welcome!)
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 15:14:54 -0500

Actually, even now a Multiboot kernel has to do way too much work in terms of memory initialization. The real problem is that GRUB only gives you the BIOS memory map and the lowmem/highmem, which means you need to figure out an  "in use" memory map for yourself, by seeing if any kernel modules are present, if any ELF section headers  + sections have been loaded, etc.

It would be nicer if the memory map passed by GRUB was a bit more complete than listing generally-available memory. If I could find out which memory is used by GRUB structures, which memory is used to load my kernel (+ modules), that would be much better.

Andrei Evgenievich Warkentin
Cell: (+1) (847) 321-15-55