grub-devel

Adapting GRUB to boot directly from RAM in protected mode

From: Patrick Connolly
Subject: Adapting GRUB to boot directly from RAM in protected mode
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 11:25:15 -0800

Can anyone think of a straightforward way to modify GRUB to boot a linux kernel directly from RAM in protected mode?

We have an embedded system with a special BIOS that places a file (any file) at a fixed location in RAM and executes it (in protected mode) starting at that same fixed location.  We'd like the file to be a linux kernel (with boot code) and we're wondering if GRUB could be adapted to do this.  We realize that some assembly-level modifications would be needed but we aren't sure how extensive those modifications might be expected to be.

Patrick