grub-devel

Re: Grub2 and two Sil3114 chipset cards

From: Tomáš Ebenlendr
Subject: Re: Grub2 and two Sil3114 chipset cards
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:59:22 +0100 (CET)

Dne 10 Leden 2007, 12:16, Kevin Stewart napsal(a):
> I have an intel system with running debian.
>

> I have installed the system with grub2 all was working fine then I cam
> up with the smart idea to add more storage 5 SATA disks planning to
> software raid 5 them
>
> with 1 ST Lab A-223, 4 port SATA card the system boots no problem with 2
> SATA cards installed 4 drives all on one of the cards the other
> card empty the system still boots, it does not matter which card I have the
> drives on the drives seem to respond correctly if I run the drives split
> over the cards the system boots to the grub menu then tries to load the
> kernel and fails to a screen like below

If I remember correctly, I had old ATA-66 driver, which installed add-on
to bios for booting only if it had hard-drive attached. So with drives
on one card, only one card installs bios add-on. When there are drives
on both cards, both cards installs add-on to bios. This may cause the
problem - the bios of one card somehow overwrites part of bios of the
other card, resulting in badly working bios routine handling the access to
the disk.

If you can somehow configure one of the cards, to not add disks
to bios, then it may work. But my old ATA-66 card had not such option.

The wierd thing is, that grub finds its own files and can read them
(I mean menu.cfg and modules), while it cannot load the linux image
(correct me here if I'm not right). I do not understand this behaviour.

--
                            Tomas Ebenlendr
                            http://drak.ucw.cz/ebik