grub-devel

Re: disk vs partition numbering

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: disk vs partition numbering
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 22:06:45 +0100

On Wednesday 13 December 2006 09:59, adrian15 wrote:
> For them their first hard disk (Who is going to have a zero-hard disk in
> the real world. It has no sense) is C:, but you could name it 1.
> And when they partition their hard disk they suppose that the first cut
> it is the 1 not the 0.

And you could name it 0.

> About your arguments... mine are: Grub2 users are not unix OS or its
> sysadmins but Windows ones. Grub2 should address to this kind of users
> in my opinnion.

Hmm... I don't agree that most users are Windows users. AFAIK, most Windows
users stick to the default selector (ntldr), and does not try to see how GRUB
works at all.

But you are comparing apples with oranges here. What Windows does is to count
only partitions for hard disks and count only disk for floppy disks and
CD/DVD drives. C: is not a disk. It is a partition that Windows can recognize
as a primary partition. D: is a second partition, regardless of whether it is
in the same disk as C: or in next disk, or in next next disk. So you cannot
compare GRUB's scheme with Windows' simply.

Personally, I think it is really unfortunate that the way of Windows is of no
use. Really no use. If Windows were not that crap, everybody else could
follow the same way, and everybody would be quite happy.

Okuji