grub-devel

Re: disk vs partition numbering

From: adrian15
Subject: Re: disk vs partition numbering
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 09:59:03 +0100

On Saturday 09 December 2006 01:17, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 20:46 +0100, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
As you know very well, GRUB Legacy follows the former. I decided to change it to the latter in GRUB 2, as I don't have to care about compatibilities with GRUB Legacy so much, and I learned that theoretical beauty is often just a masturbation when coming to the user interfaces with experience.

> But which is more important in a long run: easy for existing users
to migrate to GRUB 2, or easy for new comers to adapt GRUB 2? How difficult is it that existing users know GRUB now follows the same rule as others? How difficult is it that beginners study a rule different from others, so not intuitive at all?

If Gnu/Linux it is as good as it seems the most of the people that are going to begin to use grub2 would be the ones that come from migrating from Windows.

For them their first hard disk (Who is going to have a zero-hard disk in the real world. It has no sense) is C:, but you could name it 1. And when they partition their hard disk they suppose that the first cut it is the 1 not the 0.

I advise to use the hard disk from 1 and partition from 1 convention on grub2.

About your arguments... mine are: Grub2 users are not unix OS or its sysadmins but Windows ones. Grub2 should address to this kind of users in my opinnion.

Nevertheless sysadmins will learn (reading the manual) how to make grub work but normal users will complain because if it is not straightforward it is not worthy.

adrian15