grub-devel

Re: GRUB2 - testing report, hppa support?

From: Vincent Pelletier
Subject: Re: GRUB2 - testing report, hppa support?
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 08:47:17 +0100

Le mardi 05 décembre 2006 20:46, Yoshinori K. Okuji a écrit :
> > Oh, btw, it's HIGHLY confusing that disks start at 0, partitions at
> > 1. Could you please fix it and make it consequently? either hd1,1
> > or hd0,0, but not hd0,1 or hd1,0.
>
> No. It is consistent with most operating systems, so less confusing to the
> user. GRUB Legacy used 0-based counting for partitions, and I have received
> an uncountable number of complaints. Thus it is really a bad idea to make
> GRUB inconsistent against other systems.

But by changing the numbering, we void both the learning effort of the
people "who knows" and the answering effort they spent with people "who don't
know". At least, that's my position regarding to the change.

By changing it we might both face the complaints of the people - like me :) -
who think the two numberings are inconsistent and the people who would have
anyway complained about starting from 0, because disks are still numbered
from 0... We may also face complaints from the people who already complained
about starting from 0 - and eventually accepted it - and who will have to
learn again now...

--
Vincent Pelletier