grub-devel

Re: EFI-dualbooting OSX and Linux on iMac with T7400-CPU

From: bibo,mao
Subject: Re: EFI-dualbooting OSX and Linux on iMac with T7400-CPU
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 09:50:17 +0800

Eeri Kask wrote:
Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
 >> (line 2-2)
 >> syntax error
 >> Incorrect command
 >> (line 12-12)
 >> Press any key to continue...
 >
 > Hmm.. I think you need to put the open braces in the same line as "menuentry"
 > commands.

Thank you for the hint!  :-)

So now my grub.cfg looks

menuentry "MacOSX" {
  set root=(hd0,2)
  chainloader /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
}

menuentry "GNU/Linux" {
  set root=(hd0,5)
  linux /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5
}

and grub shows text-mode menu similar to the old version "0.97".

I think grub is working perfectly well since I can boot MacOSX as one
would expect it to do (my supposition about eventually not reading HFS+
journaled filesystems luckily proved to be false).

Then, selecting 'GNU/Linux' shows

    Booting 'GNU/Linux'

    [Linux-EFI, setup=0x1e00, size=0x231796]

There is no initrd option in your menu, I do not know whether it can
successfully boot up without initrd option with grub2. you can enter
into rescue mode(command-line mode), and enter commands like this:
$linux /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5
$initrd /boot/xxx
$boot

And what is your linux kernel version?

and from now on nothing appears to the screen.  Shortly thereafter I
notice USB-keyboard LEDs blinking on-off (num-lock, caps-lock,
scroll-lock) at some time point, so maybe Linux is in the middle of
booting I simply cannot visually observe.  Assuming booting is in
progress, at some stage it fails though; otherwise I should have remote
ssh-access if it had finished properly, staying in some unusable video
state.
So as you described, graphics drivers need to be investigated and patched.

 > BTW, this report seems to be a proof that x86_64 starts up in 32-bit mode
even
 > on EFI, well, in Intel Mac. So do we really need to implement 64-bit support
 > for x86_64?

As said, I was able to boot MacOSX 10.4.8 without any trouble on iMac
intel T7400-cpu only using current grub2 from cvs  (i.e. without
bootcamp, without refit, etc. etc.).
Though, after finishing installation, without asking me MacOSX over the
network automatically updated firmware, hopefully to the current latest
version.

Greetings,

    Eeri Kask