grub-devel

Re: grub2 accessibility: beeps

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: grub2 accessibility: beeps
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 21:02:57 +0100

On Monday 04 December 2006 21:40, Marco Gerards wrote:
> Well, the point that I am trying to make is that I would like to use
> hooks for this in some way.  So you are not agreeing with the first
> alternative I suggested.  But you ignored the second alternative,
> which was the most important part in my email.

You look so offensive to me. Did I ignore it? No! I only didn't mention any
opinion about that.

> Can you explain what the style sheet would look like?  In that case we
> can discuss some things so we are all agree so we can work towards the
> same goal.

I think you remember that I wanted to use a kind of style sheet to specify a
fancy menu interface. This fits to the beeping issue. For now, I really don't
care how it looks like, as long as it is easy even for non-programmers. I use
a CSS-like syntax as an example:

grub.css:

# The default.
menuentry {
  beep: 1 2 # Whatever these integers mean
}

# An usual entry.
menuentry.usual {
  beep: 3 4
}

# A rescue entry.
menuentry.rescue {
  beep: 5 6
}

grub.cfg

stylesheet grub.css

menuentry --class=usual "Usual OS" {
}

menuentry --class=rescue "Rescue OS" {
}

I didn't mention anything about your idea on hooks, because I only want to
separate visual or sound effects from the config file itself. I don't care so
much about the underlying implementation, whether it uses hooks or not.
That's because I bet that how to boot operating systems is independent of how
the menu looks.

Okuji