grub-devel

Re: multiboot2: variable data size

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: multiboot2: variable data size
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 23:01:52 -0600

On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 05:36 +0100, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
> On Saturday 25 November 2006 05:08, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> > OK, I don't have a problem with this. We should clarify the spec.
> > It will limit e.g. module sizes and addresses to less than 4GB, but
> > practically speaking I don't think that is too big a deal.
>
> I agree, although I don't know what will happen in the future. ;)

In the future we can provide tags like "MODULE64", which will use 64-bit
values instead of 32-bit. (Maybe a bad example, but you get the idea. :)

Along that line of thinking, we should explicitly identify data widths
in each tag, rather than a generic "everything is 32-bit unless
specified otherwise".

-Hollis