grub-devel

Re: multiboot2: make multiboot header optional

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: multiboot2: make multiboot header optional
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 05:25:00 +0100

On Saturday 25 November 2006 04:35, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> > I don't like it very much. My first draft was exactly like this. But,
> > after some discussion in the IRC, I decided to revert my idea, because
> > specifying so many parameters by hand really sucks. It is too
> > error-prone.
>
> Bits are less error-prone?

Less typing is less error-prone.

> How about this:
>         MB_START_TAGS()
>         MB_LOADADDR(0x1234)
>         MB_ENTRYADDR(0x1234)
>         MB_END_TAGS()

How to abbreviate information does not matter. When one implements an OS, she
must put the definition at somewhere anyway. Even if we provide a sample
implementation, not all people won't use it, because there are various
assemblers and compilers. For example, if our example is for GNU as, nasm
users won't use it. So the spec must be simple.

Okuji