grub-devel

Re: OpenSolaris and multiboot

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: OpenSolaris and multiboot
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 04:08:54 +0100

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 19:58, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> I think he's referring to the "architecture-specific" tags (which are
> currently not fleshed out in the spec). There are different sections for
> x86 and x86-64, and it is a good question about when each is used.
>
> I'm really not sure what would be different about the two sets, but if
> there are differences, the ELF class seems like a reasonable way to
> decide which to use.

No difference, in my opinion. GRUB never activate 64-bit mode, and the
firmware behaves exactly in the same way. Thus we don't need to pass
different tags.

Briefly, i386 and x86_64 are treated identically in the Multiboot
Specification. I wrote some notes about x86_64, only because I had to make it
clear how to initialize additional registers before passing the control to a
kernel.

Okuji