grub-devel

Re: Grub2 does not detect PVs if they are not at the beginning of the di

From: Michael Guntsche
Subject: Re: Grub2 does not detect PVs if they are not at the beginning of the disk
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 20:11:55 +0200

On Oct 21, 2006, at 20:51, Michael Guntsche wrote:

Hello,

Testing the new LVM support in grub2 I noticed that the new LVM code does not detect LVM PVs if they are not at the beginning of the disk.

Ok, answering my own Mail. I hacked around the last day to change the way the disks get parsed. For now this has only been tested with grub- emu on three different machines (thanks Thomas) and it works there.

There are still several open issues though:

* Disks get parsed twice if they contain partitions.
First they get parsed by the "new" partition code, then by the "old" one. I think that this can be fixed somehow, but up to now the ideas I had are too ugly :)

* LVM now depends on the partition partition parsing code.
The partitions have to be parsed before the LVM code gets run. Right now there is no defined order for the plugins. I had to change the rmk file so the disk/lvm.c is loaded last. Without this change the code runs before the partition routines and does not work.

Attached you will find the patch against current CVS. It does not touch the RMK files so you have to change that yourself if you want to try it out.
It also includes the patch for the LV-names.
Please rip it apart, test it and tell me if there are better ways to solve it.

Kind regards,
Michael