grub-devel

Re: search command and usb boot

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: search command and usb boot
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 12:01:47 +0200

Adrián <address@hidden> writes:

>> Why is this a problem?
>> This is only a problem when using search to look for files.  I assume
>> this is what you are talking about?  Thus you can not determine which
>> disk search will find?
>
> I will make a better explanation. I want to use the current feature from
> search command that saves into a variable the first partition where one
> file has been found.
>
> Once I have this variable I will be able to install grub2 'stage1' into
> the mbr.

You can't install GRUB 2 from GRUB 2, only by using grub-setup and
grub-install.

> So the usb problem is the following one:
>
>    You are using the usb device as a rescue disk not as a normal linux
> boot device. So you do not want to reinstall grub on the usb itself (
> hd0 ) but on hd1, which it is, in fact, your first hard disk.

That sounds like something that can be scripted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUID

>>  The (existing) label feature can also be used.
>
> label gives the hard disk labels and also the cdrom label ?

To be more precise: It gives the label of the filesystem.  Perhaps it
is not implemented in every fileystem (you could check that).  In that
case it should be added to our TODO list.

--
Marco