grub-devel

Re: search command and usb boot

From: Adrián
Subject: Re: search command and usb boot
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:05:44 +0200 (CEST)

> Why is this a problem?
> This is only a problem when using search to look for files.  I assume
> this is what you are talking about?  Thus you can not determine which
> disk search will find?

I will make a better explanation. I want to use the current feature from
search command that saves into a variable the first partition where one
file has been found.

Once I have this variable I will be able to install grub2 'stage1' into
the mbr.

So the usb problem is the following one:

   You are using the usb device as a rescue disk not as a normal linux
boot device. So you do not want to reinstall grub on the usb itself (
hd0 ) but on hd1, which it is, in fact, your first hard disk.

> Adding the capability to use UUIDs can solve most of the problems you
> encounter.

Can you give me a link about documentation on UUIDs I do not know what
does mean.

>  The (existing) label feature can also be used.

label gives the hard disk labels and also the cdrom label ?

adrian15