grub-devel

search command and usb boot

From: Adrián
Subject: search command and usb boot
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:17:44 +0200 (CEST)

Objective : To find where the grub2 files are so that I can reinstall or
re-setup grub2 to the mbr.

How to find files? With search command.

1st problem: Search command tyies to find things on: fd0, fd1, cd and
maybe nd. (In a hipotetical super grub2 disk it will find the grub2.cfg
(or whatever file that identifies the grub2 boot) on the cd)

2nd problem: When booting from an usb the usb disk becomes hd0 that means
that grub2 will be ready to reinstall itself to the usb.

Posible solutions:

-except switch: The devices passed to this switch are not searched.
==============
search -except=fd0,fd1,nd,cd /boot/grub/grub2.cfg
for usb:
search -except=fd0,fd1,nd,cd,hd0 /boot/grub/grub2.cfg

-hdonly switch :
=================
 Only hd* devices are searched.
-usb swith: Equal to hdonly switch but hd0 is not searched.

search -hdonly /boot/grub/grub2.cfg
search -usb /boot/grub/grub2.cfg

-only switch:
==============
Only the devices passed to this switch are searched.

Booting from cdrom or floppy:
search -only=hd0,hd1,hd2,hd3 /boot/grub/grub2.cfg
Booting from usb:
search -only=hd1,hd2,hd3 /boot/grub/grub2.cfg

I have to think which it is the more indicated for me... but which one of
the forms do you like the most?

Maybe we should address the problem about grub2 files being the same at
the rescue disk and the installed disk... in another way? Propose your
solution.

adrian15