grub-devel

Re: multiboot for PowerPC

From: Andrei E. Warkentin
Subject: Re: multiboot for PowerPC
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 16:18:56 -0500

On 13.10.2006, at 15:55, Hollis Blanchard wrote:

On Fri, 2006-10-13 at 15:06 -0500, Andrei E. Warkentin wrote:
I just stalk this mailing list, but I think it'd be great to turn the
Multiboot specification less PC BIOS-centric. The Multiboot spec
exposes various legacy structures for the x86 PC. How do you intend to work in platform specifics? Just expose the OF interface, or clone the
device tree? What about non-OF systems?

Have you read the wiki page? http://grub.enbug.org/MultibootDraft

I don't intend to put any Open Firmware information into the multiboot
structure, since OF will still be live when the OS is executed.

Ah okay, so just store the OF entry pointer or EFI system table with key-value. Okay. That makes sense.

Slightly OT, but has any work been done to make Multiboot ia32/x64
EFI-friendly?

Should be the same situation I guess.

-Hollis