grub-devel

Re: Grub for ia64

From: Tristan Gingold
Subject: Re: Grub for ia64
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:35:19 +0200

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 01:30:18PM +0200, Johan Rydberg wrote:
> Tristan Gingold <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > the code to relocate is used by grub to relocate itself.  On EFI systems
> > programs can be loaded at any address (physical mode).
>
> You're telling me that EFI on your IA-64 system does not relocate the
> program before start executing it?  That sounds strange.
It does relocate EFI PEI images.  Unfortunatly there is no tools to create
EFI PEI objects on Linux.  The gnu efi tools are kludgy: they use standard
gcc and ld, create an ELF image and convert it to a PEI image.  But the
relocations are not converted, they are simply put into the data section.

The long term solution is to make a EFI/PEI port of binutils.

Tristan.