grub-devel

Re: how to increase commandline size (patch + changelog)

From: Jeff Chua
Subject: Re: how to increase commandline size (patch + changelog)
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 01:17:48 +0800 (SGT)

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Marco Gerards wrote:

Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden> writes:
What exactly happens if we give the kernel a longer cmdline than it
supports? Does it just truncate, or fail to boot?

It truncates.

Why not allow users to pass as much as they want, and just warn them if
it's >255?

I am not sure what the impact is.  Linux has a memory map and I assume
the memory after the commandline is used for other things, or might be
overwritten.

Is it possible to "calculate" the needed offset for the exact cmdline length user pass in to grub and set this in grub2/kern/i386/pc/startup.S, then we don't need to worry about what the user pass in.

Jeff.