grub-devel

Re: grub2 file browser draft

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: grub2 file browser draft
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 13:55:33 +0200

adrian15 <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Adrian,

> Marco Gerards you asked me the other day about scripting. If there was
> something missing or any other thing that he could do.
>
> This draft about a grub2 file draft can help him thinking about how
> powerful is his scripting or not.

Some of these things are possible (like using variables, etc).  Other
things are not possible yet.  One of the most import (at least for
you!) missing constructs is the `for' which can be used to iterate
over files in bash.

I noticed you mention hda1 here, which is a Linux device name.  I have
explained you before it is technically not possible to translate GRUB
device names to Linux device names.  I wish it was possible, but
unfortunately it currently isn't because the BIOS is used to access
harddisks.

Here are some things I would like to work on:

- Error handling.  It should become very clear how errors are dealt
  with from scripts.

- The `for' loop.  This is useful in some cases, for example to
  automatically include files, to generate menu entries, etc, etc.

- Generating menu entries.  My plan is to make it possible to create
  templates over which you can iterate.  I will explain this another
  time in detail.

- Completing/rewriting the test command (which I almost finished, btw).

- Documentation.  This is the most important thing that is currently
  lacking.  I will soon write a document that describes the current
  functionality and the functionality I plan to implement.  This is
  important for people who like to test all this, but more
  importantly: it gives fellow developers the chance to influence what
  I am doing, criticize it and to take part in the discussion about
  the syntax.

- Adding random features and bug fixing.

The documentation will come within a few weeks (or days, who
knows...).  It's important to me and other people that these features
can and will be discussed.

--
Marco