grub-devel

Re: Grub for ia64

From: Johan Rydberg
Subject: Re: Grub for ia64
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:47:56 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> this is a port of grub2 to ia64.  ia64 systems (itanium) are EFI
> based so this port reuse existing EFI infrastructure.

Thank you for offering this contribution.

First a few legal comments.  I poked through the patches, and it seems
that there are a few files that are copyrighted by Hewlett-Packard and
David Mosberger-Tang.  All developers of GNU GRUB has agreed to sign
over their copyright to FSF, so brining non-FSF copyrighted code into
the project is a problem (and likely a show-stopper).

There are also a few files that are released under LGPL.  Maintainers,
are there any problems with bringing such files into GNU GRUB?

It is not possible to find similar integer division code in glibc for
example?  And why is this code needed at all, doesn't IA64 have
division?  If it doesn't, my gut feeling tells me that this should be
in libgcc.

There were also a few files without any copyright notice what so ever
(trampoline.S being one).  Please add a boilerplate.

I noticed that there were a generic fix for grub_strtoull in the fat
patch; maybe you could send that, and other generic fixes as separate
patches?  Also, do not forget ChangeLog [1] entries for all your
changes.  If you are not familiar with writing ChangeLogs, we'll of
course help you with that.

Have you signed over copyright to FSF for your work on GNU GRUB? In
other words, have you sent in an assignment record to FSF?  If not,
let us know and we'll send you a request record.

Anyhow, when I get a few more minutes over I'll try to review your
patches more in depth.

I do not know if there is a policy for how to contribute code to GRUB,
but please send unified diffs (-u) instead of context diffs (-c).  I
at least find them easier to read.

~j

 [1] http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Change-Logs.html