grub-devel

Booting Mac OS X with GRUB 0.97 on x86

From: Gabriel Labelle
Subject: Booting Mac OS X with GRUB 0.97 on x86
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:34:45 +0200

Hello,

I know this might not be the place to ask about problem related to GRUB
legacy but I didn't know where else to look for help.

I have tree 4 partitions my MacBook:

$ sudo parted /dev/sda
GNU Parted 1.7.1
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted)
print

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      32.3kB  5503MB  5503MB  primary  ext3
 2      5503MB  68.1GB  62.6GB  primary  ext3
 3      68.1GB  79.9GB  11.8GB  primary  hfs+         boot
 4      79.9GB  80.0GB  132MB   primary  linux-swap

So, to make a short story I dd the hfs+ partition and installed Ubuntu
after converting the partition type to MS-DOS, and then dd the hfs+
partition back to /dev/sda3. I'm now able to mount it and read its
content from within Ubuntu.

But I would like to boot it using GRUB when needed (if possible). So I
configured my /boot/grub/menu.lst file like this:

title           Mac OS X
root            (hd0,2)
chainloader     +1

But I get the Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format.

Any idea about how I could make this happen? Many thanks for your time
and help.

--
Gabriel Labelle <address@hidden>