grub-devel

Re: Support for reading LVM volumes

From: Jeroen Dekkers
Subject: Re: Support for reading LVM volumes
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 23:16:35 +0200

At Tue, 15 Aug 2006 14:48:41 +0200,
Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:

> On Tuesday 15 August 2006 13:30, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > > I'm going to work on adding support for LVM to grub-setup now. That's
> > > the last remaining thing in my SoC project.
> >
> > This is done now. This means I've finished all the things for my SoC
> > project. What I've written is a raid module that is able to read RAID
> > arrays and LVM module that can read LVM volumes, so GRUB is able to
> > read files (GRUB modules, kernels, etc) from RAID/LVM. Grub-setup has
> > code that detects that the GRUB root is on a LVM or RAID device and
> > will embed GRUB after the MBR. It will set the prefix so that the GRUB
> > kernel can find the rest of the modules and configuration files.
> >
> > Any comments, bug reports, etc. are welcome. :-)
>
> You are marvelous! It was very painful for me to filter out applicants for
> SoC, but you got rid of my pain of sin. :)

Thanks. :-)

> I think the rest is technical documentation. Could you summerize how it works
> in brief? You can use the wiki or whatever else as you wish.

http://grub.enbug.org/LVMandRAID

I've linked it from the FrontPage. Feel free to ask question or to
modify the page to add things if I forgot anything.

> BTW, are you planning to write an article about your work (e.g. osnews.com,
> free software magazine, etc.)?

Not really, I'm afraid there isn't really that much exciting to
tell. Maybe I will write down my knowledge about the RAID and LVM disk
structures, because currently the only documentation is the source
code.

Jeroen Dekkers