grub-devel

Re: RE : Roboot's BOF

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: RE : Roboot's BOF
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 14:12:30 +0200

Eric Salomé <address@hidden> writes:

> But there is more than that. In fact my belief is there is a life before
> booting OS, and a life after the OS gives up (on user’s request or when
> it can’t go on any more (windows’ blue screen)). A life full of many
> things to do:
> -         boot an (other) OS
> -         connect to the net to request for Roboot’s Web assistance
> -         partition disks and other flavours
> -         examine current configuration, diagnostic misfits
> -         add a new OS in the PC
> -         advertise central server of boot events
> -         look for email incoming and decide not to boot if there’s
> nothing new
> -         have a calculator, play cards, etc.

Personally, I do not see how this will add anything to what GRUB 2 is
capable of, or what we planned to change in GRUB.  With the scripting
support planned (and partially implemented), you can do most of these
things.  Some other more fancy things can be done by writing a module
in C or whatever.  Please tell me if I misunderstood your goals.

It would be easy to add a command to GRUB 2 that makes it possible to
parse other languages.  What you need is a new parser.  You could
create some new AST nodes or so and add all this to GRUB 2 from within
your module.  All this should integrate quite well.  This way, you
would be able to create new commands, functions, etc in another
language.

Personally I prefer to see an add-in module, even one maintained
outside of GRUB, than a complete fork.  But you would have to keep in
mind that we can make interface changes when we see the need for this.

> I don't know what Marco, Yoshinori and others would like to do for Grub
> 3 to X, so I just ask.

First I would like to see GRUB 2 being finished.  It is not there
yet. :-)

--
Marco