grub-devel

RE : Debugging GRUB2 with GDB and QEMU

From: Eric Salomé
Subject: RE : Debugging GRUB2 with GDB and QEMU
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 00:16:31 +0200

Hi Lubomir,

I've tested your scripts.
They are great.
So I changed my code in kern/dl.c to reflect your .elf convention and I
have all ready to use

With -DGRUB_COMPAT_GDB
You need to recompile gdb with a modified solib-svr4.c file that allows
an  ELF file to be loaded at different non-contigus memory locations,
one for each section.

All is automatic using ld.so interface to gdb and you can set pending
breakpoints waiting for the "shared lib" (the grub module) to be loaded.

(ld.so doesn't complain anymore when the program quits, I've added a
grub_unload_all() before exiting grub-emu for modules loaded with the
"insmod" command)

Without -DGRUB_COMPAT_GDB
Every thing is setup so that before calling grub_dl_mod_init() there is
a call to grub_gdb_load_mod(mod) and mod->elf contains the string
Filename.elf -s .text 0x233 -s .rodata 0x236
Ready to be feed to a .gdbinit script that generates the add-symbol-file
command to be swallowed by any standard gdb.

I've noticed that the attachment files I've sent with my previous emails
were not received on Grub 2 mailing list, so that I can send you (and to
others) my source code if you wish to your personal email address.

Source code is ok, should work on both 32-bits and 64-bits
architectures, though I don't do too many checks to prevent buffer
overflow in grub-emu.

I hope you might find these source extensions to kern/dl.c useful.
It's a great pleasure to be able to dynamically load modules and do the
debugging task at ease.

Thanks again Lubomir. Your scripts have been a great help to finalize
this GRUB / GDB interface.

PS: the following lines in genmk.rb didn't work too well on my pc
(Ubuntu) :
+#{exec}: #{pre_obj} #{mod_obj}
        -rm -f $@
        $(CC) $(#{prefix}_LDFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) -Wl,-r,-d -o $@ $^

ld (when called by gcc) complains it can't find -lgcc_s, so I changed
back to
        $(LD) $(#{prefix}_LDFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) -r -d -o $@ $^

Best Regards,
Eric Salomé - Paris, France