grub-devel

Re: update on the planning

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: update on the planning
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 13:48:15 +0200

"Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden> writes:

> As in the plan, I would like to stabilize GRUB 2 at 1.96. This means that we
> will not introduce any incompatibility after November (from the users' point
> of view). Currently, I'm going to apply the same policy as GRUB 1.90-1.96,
> that is, we still accept new features but not incompatible changes. So, if
> you want to change anything, you must propose (and implement) it before
> November.

Eventually this has to happen if we want people to use GRUB 2.  So I
agree with that.  It's to soon for me to determine if November is
reasonable or not.  But if we want to pick a date, this date is as
good as any.  At least it is not too soon or late for my feeling.

> Do you agree with this policy? This is just a plan, so I can change it, if
> you
> don't like.

Sure.

> After 1.96, my plan is not clear yet. Now is too early to discuss this.

For me it will mean that scripting should be finished soon.  At least
the rough work and functionality.  Same for networking interfaces, the
GUI layering splitup and we have to determine before that what should
be a command and what should go into a variable.  But let's not
discuss this right here, right now.

I am just telling you I would focus on this so GRUB for the users its
perspective will stabilize.  So after the networking work, I will focus
less on actual feature and more on frameworking and general design
issues we talked about earlier.

--
Marco