grub-devel

Re: SOC - SGD based on grub2 - Menu and scripting status

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: SOC - SGD based on grub2 - Menu and scripting status
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:40:38 +0300

Marco Gerards wrote:

>>> We are thinking about i18n support.  This is something about this on
>>> the wiki, I think.
>> I don't think this part is described well in the wiki. So I describe my idea
>> here:
>>
>> - GRUB needs to have a locale variable to determine a language.
>>
>> - GRUB needs to have gettext or something similar to translate messages.
>>
>> - GRUB needs to be able to generate .po files compatible with gettext.
>
> Will this mean Adrian can use it for menu entries as well?  I think
> that is what he wants to do.

I think this is one of the possibilities. Giving support to script in
form like this:

menuentry $gettext("My menu entry text") {

}

Though gettext is not perfect in all places, but could be enough for us.

I am still wondering what are the features of the scripting language.
Marco could you write some summary of your ideas somewhere and some
syntaxical examples?

Thanks,
Vesa Jääskeläinen