grub-devel

Re: Parted/GRUB joint-venture

From: adrian15
Subject: Re: Parted/GRUB joint-venture
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:03:46 +0200

Hello,

  I am the representative of GNU Parted and am also interested in the
development of GRUB2 (I've been lurking on this list for some months).
  James from the GNU SoC team wrote me:
<<EOQ
There is a project suggestion relating to GRUB which relates to
libparted.  Please get in touch with the maintainers of GRUB (e.g.
Yoshinori K. Okuji) to discuss that project and ensure it has the best
chance of getting good guidance and is successful.   The project
doesn't have to end up in just GRUB or just Parted, it's just that I'm
looking to make sure that the idea works well and flourishes.
EOQ

I do not know if okuji has talked to you directly.
Have you seen this?

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-soc.html
Parted integration
Integrate GNU Parted's library (libparted) with GRUB so that we can make use of the full power of the Parted's functionality at boot time.

Parted supports creation, deletion, resizing of partitions and filesystems. These features are extremely useful when you get troubled or have a complicated boot environment. Because libparted uses some external libraries, you will have to think how to make things run on the GRUB's environment, where you cannot use POSIX or Unix system calls.

This should be implemented as an optional dynamic module by using the module loading feature in GRUB 2.

adrian15