grub-devel

initial commit for EFI platforms

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: initial commit for EFI platforms
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 08:32:42 +0200

As some people know this, I'm working on Intel Mac these days. I have checked
in my initial code to the CVS right now. The current code does nearly
nothing, but simply displays "test!" on the screen. Although this might sound
bogus, this is a big advance, since the test message proves that my ELF to
PE32 converter is working fine.

On EFI platforms, I decided to create a kernel as a module (ELF relocatable
object), and convert it to an EFI Application (PE32 executable). The
grub-mkimage relocates addresses with the virtual address space which starts
from zero, and generate relocation entries for PE32 to resolve absolute
addresses at the loading time. This trick is required because EFI
Applications must be able to run at an arbitrary address. Pre-loaded modules
are not supported yet, since this requires memory management which is not
implemented yet, either.

For my future plan, refer to my wiki page:

http://grub.enbug.org/YoshinoriOkuji

Okuji