grub-devel

Re: USB driver integration into GRUB2

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: USB driver integration into GRUB2
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 14:33:38 +0200

"Glen Coates" <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

> I have a laptop that does not support USB-booting from the BIOS and
> would very much like to see USB support in grub for getting around
> this restriction.  I am a developer myself, although I have little
> OS/driver experience, but could contribute here myself if the
> development effort has not gone ahead thus far.

It certainly is not easy to write USB support.  From what I have
heard, it is one of the hardest thing to support when it comes to
device drivers.

I do not know who suggested Linux drivers, but that won't be easy and
I doubt if it is possible.  For example, GRUB does not have the
required functions the drivers want to call and GRUB does not support
interrupts (neither can it, AFAIK).

So if you want to start working on USB, I suggest picking the simplest
host controller and start writing a polling driver for it.

--
Marco