grub-devel

Re: Idle time

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Idle time
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 21:00:15 +0200

"Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden> writes:

> In my opinion, the essential function would be something similar to pause in
> POSIX, since the timer itself is an event.
>
> If you want to stop CPU while waiting, the events must be hardware
> interrupts,
> or triggered by hardware interrupts (such as a timer). Probably the most
> difficult architecture is PC in this case, because the interrupt handling is
> different between protected mode and real mode, and we may not interfere with
> BIOS. Looking at Etherboot's experience, this should be feasible but not
> trivial.

I think there is some CPU based functionality for this as well.

> However, it is easy to make a fake component for this, so I don't object to
> this. For example:

I had a slightly different model in mind, although it looks like
yours.  How about me start getting coding, submit a patch and we can
talk about that?

After this I can do some networking hacking.  Which I want to submit
within a month or so.

Thanks,
Marco