grub-devel

Re: LDFLAGS

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: LDFLAGS
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 09:06:59 -0500

On Apr 15, 2006, at 8:54 AM, Hollis Blanchard wrote:

On Apr 15, 2006, at 5:36 AM, Marco Gerards wrote:

I think LDFLAGS are really processed by cc, no?  So we do not use ld,
but cc if I am not mistaken.

If I misunderstood your mail, and you mean LDFLAGS in general is supposed to be processed by $(CC), then I disagree: see for example http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Implicit- Variables.html#Implicit-Variables .

To reply to myself just one more time... I think I interpreted that page incorrectly before.

The page says this:
LDFLAGS
Extra flags to give to compilers when they are supposed to invoke the linker, `ld'.

If we take "compiler" to mean "gcc", then LDFLAGS contains gcc options, and should never be used directly by ld. It is worth noting that there is no standard LD variable, suggesting (as I have heard others suggest) that we should not be invoking ld directly. I will try out that patch.

-Hollis