grub-devel

TCP timers and telnet

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: TCP timers and telnet
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 18:15:43 +0200

Hi,

Lately I have been reading a bit about Open Firmware and that it has
TCP support and support to telnet into an Open firmware box:
http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn2004.html

So I was thinking, why not add such functionality to GRUB 2?  It's
easy to implement with the networking code I currently have.  The only
thing about it that sucks is that we have to implement multitheading,
kinda...

My idea is that we use the timer interrupt to regularly schedule time
for the TCP timers and the incoming telnet connections.  It will not
be very hard to implement, but we have to think about how to do proper
locking.  We will at least need locking in disk access and for the
loaders.  So only in a small part of GRUB.

What do you guys think?  I think it is not as hard as it sounds now...

Thanks,
Marco