grub-devel

idea for storing menu.lst with 1_5 stage or equivalent on grub2

From: adrian15
Subject: idea for storing menu.lst with 1_5 stage or equivalent on grub2
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:28:15 +0100

This is a idea for making installations of Grub safer.
It is based on Grub Legacy but I think you will find an equivalent on grub2.

Most people ask about grub showing grub> and not knowing what do to do when that happens. (Usually when they remove Linux from pc).

If I understand it correctly that means that 1_5 stage has been loaded but it does not have found /boot/grub/menu.lst because it does not exist.

My idea is that when embedd 1_5 stage we should also add a configuration file with the following contents:

timeout 0
default 0
title correct install
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
HERE GOES CONTENTS of /boot/grub/menu.lst
from the first title.

This way if the file /boot/grub/menu.lst is there it is loaded but if it does not exists its backup is loaded.

So... everyone is happy.

adrian15