grub-devel

Re: Requirements for Grub2 PPC install

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Requirements for Grub2 PPC install
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 19:06:54 +0100

address@hidden writes:

>>> When I tried to boot against it, I saw the initial Grub welcome
> message, but it immediately gave an error message.  I don't have the
> error message to show as I've rebuilt the machine with extra partitions
> this
>>> time.  I can now try dedicating one for /boot and possibly one for grub
> itself (running the grub-install seemed to insist on one).
>>
>>Right, the reason for that is that the firmware can't load from ext2 (or
> whatever you use). So you need a HFS+ partition as /boot (assuming you
> use an apple).
>
> I'm still a little confused by this.  In Gentoo at least, yaboot does not
> require a /boot partition, but it does require the apple bootstrap
> partition.  This is created by using the 'b' command in mac-fdisk, which
> creates an 800k HFS partition.  Once created, mkofboot is run to format
> the bootstrap partition and copy the yaboot files to it.  This is the
> location where I put the grubof.modules and grub.cfg files.

Right, so you can use that bootstrap partition for GRUB as well.

> For grub to work, does this partition need to be larger and then mounted
> as /boot in Linux?

As long as everything fits on the partition...

> Or do I need a separate /boot partition, but it must be an HFS partition?

You just need a partition that your firmware can read from.  So most
likely that would be HFS.

> Can I see your /etc/fstab and partition map?  It might be easier for me to
> just duplicate what you have.  Once I get it working, I can figure out
> exactly what the requirements are.  For what its worth, I'm setting this
> up on a MacMini with 256MB.  Not sure if that should make a difference.

I have a apple bootstrap partition.  I don't have the machine here.

>>> Alternatively, is there a description of the layout of the grub2 code
> so I can follow the process myself to figure it out?  I'm a developer,
> but I'm having some difficulty figuring out the organization as I poke
> around. Would the documentation for grub legacy help?  Is there some
> general information floating around that I haven't found yet?
>>
>>I will write something for the wiki this evening or tomorrow, if nothing
> is there about the organisation of the code. Otherwise I'll point you to
> the
>>right documents.
>
> Have you looked into this yet?  I was hoping to dig through the code
> before sending this email :)  I feel like I'm doing something
> fundamentally wrong and it might be easier just following the logic..

Not yet, sorry...

--
Marco