grub-devel

Re: Requirements for Grub2 PPC install

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Requirements for Grub2 PPC install
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 11:02:28 +0100 (CET)

> I'm sorry for posting to the list, but I've had some trouble tracking down
> the answers I need..

Don't worry about that. :-)

> I've tried following the instructions on the Wiki for installing grub2/ppc
> on a clean, basic (working) Gentoo install with yaboot.  My partitions
> were set up as:

Did you use GRUB 2 CVS?

> When I tried to boot against it, I saw the initial Grub welcome message,
> but it immediately gave an error message.  I don't have the error message
> to show as I've rebuilt the machine with extra partitions this
> time.  I can now try dedicating one for /boot and possibly one for grub
> itself (running the grub-install seemed to insist on one).

Right, the reason for that is that the firmware can't load from ext2 (or
whatever you use). So you need a HFS+ partition as /boot (assuming you use
an apple).

> My question isn't so much why my original try failed, but what are the
> requirements for setting up grub2 on ppc's?  (req'd partitions,
> filesystems, sizes, initrd? etc.)  I'd appreciate if someone could work
> with me on setting this up offline.  Once I understand what is needed and
> can get it reliably installed, I will happily update the documentation to
> help the next guy (or gal).

You need to have a new world apple or a pegasos II. Otherwise it just has to
work. If it doesn't, please describe exactly what you did and which errors
you encountered. It can certainly be the case that you found a bug; GRUB 2
is still not used that much and it changes and evolves rapidly.

> Alternatively, is there a description of the layout of the grub2 code so I
> can follow the process myself to figure it out?  I'm a developer, but I'm
> having some difficulty figuring out the organization as I poke around.
> Would the documentation for grub legacy help?  Is there some general
> information floating around that I haven't found yet?

I will write something for the wiki this evening or tomorrow, if nothing
is there about the organisation of the code. Otherwise I'll point you to
the
right documents.

--
Marco