grub-devel

Curious about GRUB and EFI

From: Haakon Meland Eriksen
Subject: Curious about GRUB and EFI
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:46:39 +0100

Hi, everyone!

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum, I'll leave shortly, as I'm not a
developer. However, you are the most knowledgable people about the subject,
so I thought it best to ask you.

The BIOS seems to becoming obsolete, if this presentation from Intel about the
Extensible Firmware Interface is anything to go by:

ftp://download.intel.com/technology/efi/docs/pdfs/IDF04linux_EFIS005.pdf

It shows that HP has developed ELILO - EFI Linux Loader, a native EFI
application. The home page is http://elilo.sourceforge.net/, and it is
licensed under the GNU GPL.

Is the GRUB2 development team implementing/planning to do make GRUB2 EFI
compatible? If so, what is your current status and future plans? Is EFI an
Intel proprietary solution, or is it an open standard?

Yours sincerely,
Haakon Meland Eriksen