grub-devel

Re: Disk controler driver.

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Disk controler driver.
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 13:28:36 +0100

Rudy Attias <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Rudy,

> My name is Rudy and I'm very interested in the grub development, I have
> a few questions that I guess will be best answered in this mailing
> group. I'm interested in booting from the network using pxegrub which
> right now work great for me.I'm using the tg3 driver on IBM
> bladecenters(I even upgraded the driver to the latest from etherboot),
> but I have another requirement, when the bootloader boot from the
> network I would like to choose an OS that reside on fiber channel (could
> be any lun, not only 0) Do you think it is doable? As I'm new to the
> project and it will take me some time to learn the code I was wondering
> if it can be implemented by inserting the drivers needed for the FC card
> and loading it like I load the network drivers... your input will much
> appreciated,

It seems that no one replied to your email yet, so I'll do that,
although I don't feel like I am the appropriate person to do so.  To
be honest, I am not really sure what you are talking about because I
don't know a thing about fiber channel.  Assuming it is expensive high
end equipment, I assume not that many people have experience with it.

That doesn't mean we don't want to support it.  The problem is that we
(or at least I) don't know what you want :-).

A few remarks and questions:

- New features for GRUB Legacy will not be accepted, only patches for
  GRUB 2 are supported.

- Is fibre channel networking or a storage?  You are talking about
  both things, as I see it.  Can you clarify that?

- A TCP/IP stack for GRUB 2 is being developed and will be available
  in about a month or two (I hope ;-)).

Please explain the exact situation you are dealing with, the design
decisions that need to be taken, protocols and drivers required, etc.

Thanks,
Marco