grub-devel

Re: Networking status

From: NIIBE Yutaka
Subject: Re: Networking status
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:47:02 +0900

Marco Gerards wrote:
> Things I planned to do:
>
> - Finish IPv4+UDP receive.
> - Implement DHCP/BOOTP.
> - Clean up the code a bit and document everything properly.
> - Add IEEE 1275 support (so networking will work on the PPC and
>   SPARC).
> - Implement TFTP.

FWIW, I developed a boot loader for M32R architecture which supports
HTTP download: http://www.gniibe.org/software/m32r-g00ff-20060107.tar.gz

It is single threaded, I mean, with polling (or busy loop).  It's only
for boot loader.

It supports both of IPv4 and IPv6.  ARP, Neighbour discovery of IPv6,
UDP, DHCP, DHCPv6, DNS, and HTTP/TCP is supported.

I know that TFTP is most popular for booting through the net.  But,
for our purpose (development of embedded system), HTTP is better.
People don't run TFTP server normally.  HTTP server is common, and put
a kernel on the web is easy thing to do.

If my code will be considered useful, I could transfer the copyright
to FSF (currently it's copyrighted by FSIJ).