grub-devel

Update on video subsystem draft

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Update on video subsystem draft
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 03:39:54 +0200

I have made some updates to wiki . Changed some parameters from
grub_[u]int32_t to standard C types ([unsigned] int). Added functions
used to manage and use render targets.

Here is the URL there:
http://grub.enbug.org/VideoSubsystem

I also decided to release sneak peak of current version for those
wanting to see what there is currently.

WARNING! This sneak peak is not usable and is only released in order to
get feedback of its functionality. It is not optimized in any way at the
moment and contains debug code that will slow it down and render
unnecessary debug pixels. Also note that code is not synched lately with
CVS so other parts is not up to date.

There is currently some issues with videoterm, screen is only rendered
when terminal refresh is called. Actually I would like to get more
information what each terminal function is supposed to do and how they
should be used. At the moment you have to blindly write commands at this
point as command line is not refreshed all the time :).

I would like to have some feedback on following areas:
- Is there all needed video API's present? If not give a description
what functionality is required and let's see where that should be
implemented.
- You are of course free to provide optimization ideas. At this point I
have only considered dirty regions.
- What would be a good way to debug code like this :)... I have VMware
running here and could use one of it's devices to get debug messages but
at the moment there is no code to support this.
- Other issues?

Here is the URL for sneak peak:
http://jumi.lut.fi/~vjaaskel/grub2/grub2-video-20051231.tar.gz

Quick guide:
# mkdir grubtmp
# cd grubtmp
tar -xzvf grub2-video-20051231.tar.gz
# Please study makegrub script if it needs some changes for your system.
cd grub2.video
./configure
make
../makegrub