grub-devel

Re: Nested Function Patches

From: Peter Jones
Subject: Re: Nested Function Patches
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 03:08:45 -0500

On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 09:33 +0100, Marco Gerards wrote:
> Andre Smith <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > As I mentioned before, Apple has disabled nested function support for
> > GRUB2. Would the group be willing to accept patches addressing this
> > issue? I would like to see GRUB2 on Mac OS X. I do have a very simple
> > patch for help.c, and I would like continue the work with the groups
> > blessing.
>
> You can better send a patch to the apple folks, they broke nested
> functions.  See the previous discussion about this on the mailinglist.

That's taking the very unrealistic point of view that using nested
functions isn't broken.  It is, in a great many ways which have already
been discussed in depth, and which you've, rather disturbingly, chosen
to ignore.  Using "features" which require an executable stack is still
just a bad idea.

It's too bad that the grub project has chosen to ignore the pragmatic
implications of code structure and style.
--
  Peter