grub-devel

Need for VBE helper functions?

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Need for VBE helper functions?
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 03:32:44 +0200

Hi,

I have been making video driver for VBE and currently at beginning of
that file there are codes for those VBE helpers defined in
(include/grub/i386/pc/vbe.h). As I had some issues with mixing them with
each other I renamed all kernel stubs like from grub_vbe_* to
grub_vbe_bios_* so they cannot be easily mixed.

I was thinking that is there a still need to have those helper functions
at all there? If they will be there I will use them from driver code, if
not, I will integrate the functionality to driver code. By integrating
the code to driver it would make that driver file more easier to read,
but then we lose option to use those helpers directly. One option is to
move them elsewhere, but then there is a problem what is the module name
and where.

I will update shortly (tomorrow most likely) wiki with results of the
newest API design round. After I think it is correct I will concentrate
on enhancing the terminal code to make use of newly added functionality.

Thanks,
Vesa Jääskeläinen