grub-devel

Re: grub-install --root-directory

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: grub-install --root-directory
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:55:37 -0600

On Nov 16, 2005, at 10:17 PM, Mike Small wrote:

2. The script seems to assume that /boot/grub/ will be where my boot
partition is mounted.  This was mentioned in the original mail, and I
could set things up this way, but in my opinion it would be more
natural to be able to specify the install directory exactly without
mandating any particular directory structure.  eg if I enter
  $ grub-install --root-directory=/mnt
...(which is how I ran it, forgetting that part of the email) then
grub and its modules would go directly into /mnt and not into a
/mnt/boot/grub.

Upon further inspection, this part of grub-install is identical to the x86 grub-install behavior. On both architectures,
        grub-install --root-directory /foo
will install *.mod, *.lst, and the output of grub-mkimage into /foo/boot/grub.

I'm open to allowing an override for this, but that's not a PPC-only question. I guess a user uses --root-directory when they have booted from a CD/floppy and wish to install GRUB onto their hard disk. In that case, even if the hard disk's root partition has been manually mounted on /mnt, there is no guarantee that the firmware-accessible filesystem has also been mounted on /mnt/boot/grub.

Given that, Okuji, what do you think about a --grub-directory switch instead of (or in addition to) --root-directory?

-Hollis