grub-devel

Re: RISC OS rescue mode

From: Timothy Baldwin
Subject: Re: RISC OS rescue mode
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 15:15:02 +0000

On Saturday 19 Nov 2005 21:50, Hollis Blanchard wrote:

> >> What on earth is this file...? :)
> >
> > A script which loads the GRUB kernel.
>
> What I meant is that the filename is extremely unusual for Unix
> filesystems. Can it be named differently?

In the source any name is possible if build system is changed to allow
renaming files before/during installation.

The intention is for that file to execute whenever the directory it's inside
is executed. For that it has to be called "!Run"  in RISC OS, and have the
correct filetype attribute. The de-facto standard means of storing the
filetype attribute in non RISC OS systems is to append it to the filename in
hexidecimal. The exceptions being FAT and SMB without long filenames,
ISO9660, and zip files.

--
Member AFFS, WYLUG, SWP (UK), UAF, RESPECT, StWC
No to software patents!    Victory to the iraqi resistance!