grub-devel

Re: GRUB 1.91 on PowerPC ( FC4 ) does not find its conf file

From: Dennis Clarke
Subject: Re: GRUB 1.91 on PowerPC ( FC4 ) does not find its conf file
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 06:50:01 -0400

On 10/27/05, Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Oct 27, 2005, at 1:45 PM, Dennis Clarke wrote:

/**********************************************************************
 *
 * There are pictures related to this discussion located here :
 * http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/grub/grub_1.91/day_01/
 *
 *    and
 *
 * http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/grub/grub_1.91/day_02/
 *
 **********************************************************************/

Firstly I just want to say thank you and to let you know that the new
GRUB revision is of great value to me and a lot of other people.  I
want to work with this GRUB project in whatever capacity that I can to
help.  I am not a super technical programmer but I am quite good at
doing the things that I do.  If my tone is somewhat crisp then please
accept my apologies in advance, I am killing a lot of coffee beans in
this process and even having some fun at it!

Dennis

> > ok printenv boot-device
> > boot-device           hd:0               (eth)
> >
> > I then boot GRUB like so :
> >
> > boot hd:1 /grub/grubof.modules
>
> This may be the problem. Is that how you normally boot? What about
> "boot hd:1,/grub/grubof.modules" -- does that work?

Let me try that for you right now.

ok boot hd:1,/grub/grubof.modules
error: error while trying to load or boot
ok

http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/grub/grub_1.91/day_02/img_1284.jpg

> > This then results in the GNU GRUB  version 1.91  screen
> >
> > grub> set
> > prefix=(hd)
> > root=hd
>
>  From here, please run the following:
> grub> suspend
> ok dev /chosen
> ok .properties

okay .. I will use what works to get grub going ...

ok boot hd:1 /grub/grubof.modules

That works and gets me to GRUB

then I type your commands above ...

grub> suspend
Run 'go' to resume GRUB.
ok dev /chosen
ok .properties
name          "chosen"
stdin         0xFDA01A0 (265945504)
stdout        0xFD9FEF8 (265944824)
bootpath      "/address@hidden/address@hidden,1/address@hidden,0"
bootargs      ""
memory        0xFC54D40 (264588608)
mmu           0xFC55D48 (264592712)
ok

http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/grub/grub_1.91/day_02/img_1285.jpg

I then type "go" ( without the quotes ) and the screen goes black with
the exception of this single line at the top :

Failed to claim heap at 0x4000, len 0x1fb000

http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/grub/grub_1.91/day_02/img_1286.jpg

At this point I have a dead machine again.  I have to hit the reset button.

> I seem to recall that the Pegasos firmware has a bug that prevents
> "suspend" from working; if that is still the case don't worry about it.
>
> > Perhaps a menu.lst file is required ? The grub.cfg file is not found
> > by default.
>
> No. menu.lst is not a grub2 config file.
> > ps: I should note the simply hitting enter results in Linux starting
> > to boot but then a kernel panic occurs.
>
> Are you saying this is also a GRUB problem? If so we will need some
> details.

I don't know if it is or it isn't.  I know that when I boot with
yaboot everything works fine and I am using the same kernel on the
same machine.

Here is what my yaboot.conf file looks like :

address@hidden grub]# cat ../yaboot/yaboot.conf
# yaboot.conf generated by anaconda

boot=/dev/hda
init-message=Welcome to Fedora Core!\nHit <TAB> for boot options

partition=1
timeout=80
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
delay=5
enablecdboot
enableofboot
enablenetboot
nonvram
mntpoint=/boot/yaboot
usemount

image=/vmlinuz-2.6.12-1.1456_FC4
        label=linux
        read-only
        initrd=/initrd-2.6.12-1.1456_FC4.img
        root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
        append="rhgb quiet"

And here is my grub.cfg :

address@hidden grub]# cat grub.cfg
timeout 10

title Linux
    linux (hd,1)/vmlinuz-2.6.12-1.1456_FC4 root=/dev/hda1
    initrd (hd,1)/initrd-2.6.12-1.1456_FC4.img

So I guess I would need to know more about the spec for the grub.cfg
file to know what it wants.  There is a picture of what happens in
that list of pictures above.

http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/grub/grub_1.91/day_01/img_1282.jpg

With yaboot I get the following :

How to boot yaboot from the Genesi ODW firmware
http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/grub/grub_1.91/day_02/img_1287.jpg

yaboot 1.3.13 (Red Hat 1.3.13-06) has loaded its config file
http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/grub/grub_1.91/day_02/img_1288.jpg

yaboot 1.3.13 loading the kernel ( sorry for the blur )
http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/grub/grub_1.91/day_02/img_1289.jpg

Red Hat nash version 4.2.15
http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/grub/grub_1.91/day_02/img_1290.jpg

Fedora Core 4 nifty graphical boot progress
http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/grub/grub_1.91/day_02/img_1291.jpg

Fedora Core 4 login
http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/grub/grub_1.91/day_02/img_1292.jpg

Dennis Clarke