grub-devel

[PPC] quick test please? device tree path translation

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: [PPC] quick test please? device tree path translation
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 17:53:44 -0500

Hi, could PPC people give the attached shell script a try? For example,
$ ./ofpathname /dev/hda
/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden/@0/address@hidden

I'd like to make sure that the resulting Open Firmware device tree path is accurate. I think we should use this script for GRUB installation, which means that when the user says "grub-install /dev/hda2" this script will tell us the proper setting of the OF "boot-device" variable.

It seems to be working fine for disk, CD, and Zip drive on my Blue & White G3, which has a slightly unusual ATA setup. I expect it to work just fine on simple systems like laptops, but I'm particularly interested in more unsual systems like Pegasos, or systems with lots of IO and disks.

You can validate by comparing the output with /proc/device-tree/aliases/hd, for example, or just try it out.

-Hollis