grub-devel

gsd proposal : dd

From: adrian15
Subject: gsd proposal : dd
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:10:42 +0200

Let's suppose that MBR has this structure:

Boot Code: 466 bytes
Partition table: 66 bytes

Let's do the following with Linux:

dd if=/dev/zero of=./blank.img count=1 bs=466
dd if=./blank.img of=/dev/hda

I think that this two commands will make a thing similar to
fdisk /mbr
that's to say give a blank mbr.

Supposing that this is equivalent to fdisk /mbr let's build a
grub disk
with the following extra file: blank.img stored int /boot/grub/ folder.

My first instict, my first thought was to do:

install p /boot/grub/blank.img INTO (hd0)

(Sorry, I don't remember the correct syntax right now, but I suppose you
get the point)

The problem is that when I read install command documentation it says that
Grub before embedding stage1 into the MBR ====checks==== if it's a right
Grub stage1 image.

So... I suppose I cannot embedd this image into the MBR.

So some questions arise right now:

 1)  When Grub embeds an stage1  image into the MBR does it copy it into
the 1st 466 bytes or not? And... why its size is 512 bytes instead of 466
bytes as in my scheme?

2) Can I make a fake blank.img which is approved as a good grub stage1 by
grub itself?

3) (THIS IS THE PROPOSAL) Will Grub 2 include a dd command... so that you
can dd some images as a blank mbr or a mbr backup ?

Thank you for your questions in advance.

Ah,... I've made a Grub Super Disk version totally translated into
English... check version 0.8.9 in floppy or cdrom here:

http://adrian15.raulete.net/ficheros/gsd_0.89.iso
http://adrian15.raulete.net/ficheros/gsd_0.89_en.img

adrian15