grub-devel

Re: Sparc bootblock [Was: SFS breaks PPC build ]

From: Andrei Warkentin
Subject: Re: Sparc bootblock [Was: SFS breaks PPC build ]
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 08:28:55 -0500

Can OpenBoot directly boot ELF or COFF images? I looked at SILO and it seems it uses a 512-byte boot block to load second stage etc.

On Oct 17, 2005, at 2:30 AM, Bart Grantham wrote:

Marco Gerards wrote:

> As GRUB 2 is ported to the ultra sparc64 it might be wise for us (GRUB
> and solaris developers) to talk about multiboot.  Of course other
> parties might be interested as well (the Hurd uses multiboot, for
> example).
>
> Anyway, what is important for you is that we are thinking about a
> portable multiboot and that there is also a sparc port in the making.

Speaking of which, after refreshing my forth skills, I've started work on the sparc bootloader. I have it reading data from disk into mem, but I'm not sure if I want to share it quite yet. Before sharing it I'd like to:

- have it verify that the file at the configured sector(s) is an ELF file - follow through and make sure it properly boots an ELF image (right now it only gets it into memory)
- clean up the code a bunch

I'll hand it over once I get those done. After that, the features I'd like to work on are:

- support of a sector-sized lookup table indicating the layout of the grub image on disk, allowing for more flexible configuration - support of a sector-sized lookup table indicating additional forth bytecode, providing for extensibility just in case. - verify that the code works on PPC, and if not, try to make it work so that there's a unified bootblock [not sure if this is reasonable as I'm not as familiar with how PPC OF boots... how similiar is it to Sparc?]
- same for sparc32

BG