grub-devel

Re: Booting homebrew ELF kernel on NewWorld OpenFirmware 3.0?

From: Andrei Warkentin
Subject: Re: Booting homebrew ELF kernel on NewWorld OpenFirmware 3.0?
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 17:35:02 -0500

Thanks for your help. Right now I've gotten to the point where I can print ``hello world'' and exit back to OpenFirmware. It is interesting though that I cannot ``boot'' it again (or for that matter launch BootX and procede back into OS X) until I reboot the machine. When I boot my own kernel again I get a CLAIM Failed. When I boot BootX I get ``illegal instruction executed``. As far as I understand, it is because OF CLAIMed the memory area where it was loading my image, and after my kernel quit, that area was still CLAIMed by OF, so it couldn't CLAIM it again. Is there some way of convincing OF to free up the memory it just gobbled up, after my kernel had exited?

Thanks again.