grub-devel

Re: Is Disk-on-Chip (DOC) support planned?

From: Joseph M Dupre (AVAB Inc.)
Subject: Re: Is Disk-on-Chip (DOC) support planned?
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:19:22 -0700

On 28 Sep 2005 at 4:07, address@hidden wrote:

> The patch you are talking about is for GRUB Legacy, this mailinglist
> is about GRUB 2.
That's right.  I would hope that any work I do now wouldn't become
obsolete tomorrow.  Maybe the next day, but not tomorrow!

> Personally I wouldn't mind such support.  Can you please describe what
> this support means?  I assume it is just a filesystem that needs to be
> supported?  I don't have the hardware, but implementing the filesystem
> should be easy if someone can give me an image of a filesystem.

The Grub Legacy DOC patch did a couple things: first at adds some
configuration options regarding DOC support, most importantly an
option to bypass the DOC boot code and boot "normally" by holding
down the ctrl key while booting.  Secondly it contains code to create
a firmware image of grub that is loaded into the "boot sector" of the
DOC device.

- Joe